Denzil Stone – Atlantic City
It has been over a month since Floyd Mayweather Jr secured victory over Victor Ortiz in Las Vegas and there has been much noise made over whom he should box next, however, the Mayweather camp has been muted. Certain fighters have indicated they are in the queue, yet On The Beak asks readers who they most want to see Floyd mix it up with in his first fight of 2012. Below is a shortlist of potential candidates…
- Would appease fans who deemed his 4th Rd KO move ‘cheap’ (+).
- Ambiguous PPV sales from the first fight, what does Ortiz bring to the second? (-).
- Potential disinterest (-).
- Should Ortiz work for his rematch? (-).
- Is the super-fight everyone wants to see and settles 147lb and P4P number one (+).
- Would generate huge $$$ (+).
- Is a world-title unification (+).
- Potential for barnburning trilogy (+).
- Proven problems during negotiation phase (-).
- Like Ortiz, is another young and hungry lion (+).
- Brings the British market (+).
- Could sell out a UK super stadium like Wembley (+).
- Enhances Wildcard rivalry for possible Pac fight (+).
- Khan may need a ‘tune-up’ at 147lb first (-).
- Is the next most challenging opponent after Pacman (+).
- Victory would give May the P4P crown (+).
- Martinez is eager to battle at 152-154lbs (+).
- Looked uncharacteristically underwhelming against Darren Barker (-).
- Strong performance over Margarito makes Cotto even more relevant at 154lbs (+).
- Good stylistic match-up with May (+).
- Wouldn’t be available until second quarter of 2012 (-).
- Pacquiao’s ‘leftover’? (-).
- Top Rank fighter likely realigned to Pac for rematch (-).