Words: Petra Kirsch – Gelsenkirchen
Photo: Photo Wende
Technically-skilled 30-year-old super middleweight Robert Stieglitz, who has reigned over the WBO as 168lb champion since he stopped Karoly Balzsay in 2009, will make a seventh defence of the world title belt on Saturday, August 25 at the 02 World Arena in Berlin, Germany, against former middleweight ruler King Arthur Abraham. Stieglitz has vowed to slay Abraham in order to prove he is a legitimate champion at the weight.
“That’s my belt and we are going to battle for it – in the end it will still be mine,” said Stieglitz (42-2-0, 23ko) during a photo opportunity inside the stadium.
Despite Stieglitz’s lengthy incumbency, he has faced censure for the lower level quality of opponent he has been matched with, especially when compared to other champions in the division such as Andre Ward and Carl Froch, both of whom met in the final of the groundbreaking Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament last year.
“I will prove that my championship is legitimate, no matter of the opposition, time or place.”
Abraham (34-3-0, 27ko), meanwhile, is not in as good form as Stieglitz, but is hoping to turn the clock back by replicating his performance from 2009, when he halted American Jermain Taylor. He said: “I’m happy that this fight will take place at o2 World.
“I was hoping for another chance to show my skills in this incredible arena in front of as many fans as possible. I am looking forward to entertain them again, like I did back in 2009 with my last round knockout against Jermain Taylor.”