Jan 6, 3 years ago

Mayweather’s prison stretch deferred till June, May 5 will be a ‘mega fight’ for Floyd says Leonard Ellerbe

Denzil Stone – Atlantic City

Floyd Mayweather Jr, 34, was ready to begin a 90-day prison sentence in Las Vegas on charges relating to domestic violence instigated in September, 2010 but, following a late plea from the welterweight boxer’s lawyer – Richard Wright – the Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa allowed a postponement until June 1 in order to accommodate previously existing sporting obligations. Namely: Mayweather’s Cinco de Mayo date.

Direct link to article.

Ellerbe, Mayweather's confidant and adviser, helps Floyd train. Credit: Stacey Verbeek – Maple Avenue Boxing Gym, Dallas

According to an Associated Press report, Mayweather has been allowed to continue training in order to ready himself for what could potentially be a super fight on May 5 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The date and arena had been reserved by Floyd and his camp late last year in the hope that it could entice Filipino prizefighter Manny Pacquiao and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum into booking what is estimated to be the most lucrative match-up in the sport’s history.

Indeed, money appears to be one of the key factors. AP state that, whilst stressing that Mayweather – himself dubbed ‘Money’ – was not attempting to shirk away from the sentence, but informed Saragosa of the financial benefits that Las Vegas enjoys when Floyd fights in town. His last seven fights were cited to have raised over $1 billion to the city’s economy and the May 5 date would likely generate a further $100 million irrespective of opponent.

“This is simply a delay because of prior commitments and contracts,” said Wright as quoted by Associated Press.

The judge replied: “Mr. Mayweather has an obligation to this court [but] given the fact that Mr. Mayweather has these obligations, I am going to grant your request.”

Leonard Ellerbe, who acts as confidant to Mayweather, said fans can expect Floyd to engage in a “mega fight” in May, however, when pressed as to whom the opponent he faces will be, Ellerbe requested time be given for himself and his fighter to process the day’s events.

“We’ll make an announcement about who we’re going to fight next week. We just came out of the court hearing. Give us a chance to catch our breath,” the Los Angeles Times quote him to have said.

The super fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao, though, is unlikely to go ahead unless the date is pushed toward the end of the month. Arum said: “May 5 is out for us, it can’t happen because we want to explore the idea of getting a [temporary] 40,000 seater stadium up on the streets of Las Vegas.

“The end of May is a possibility.”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK