Jun 30, 2 years ago

Chisora vows to physically remind Haye of Carl Thompson, Danny Dyer talks up Del Boy and David’s dust-up

On The Beak – Admin

Dereck Chisora says he’ll give David Haye a bigger nightmare than Carl Thompson did when they meet in their grudge fight on Saturday, July 14. The Finchley scrapper takes on Haye in one of British boxing’s biggest fights at West Ham United’s ground, live on BoxNation. Thompson battered Haye, then a cruiserweight, into submission in 2004 as the Hayemaker suffered his first record.

Direct link to article.

Chisora (15-3-0, 9ko) stormed: “Haye’s going to wish he was in the ring with Carl Thompson again, that was mild compared to what I’m going to be dishing out to him. It’s going to be like a bad dream coming back to haunt Haye, I’ll leave him hanging on the ropes just like Thompson did. I’ll be taking Haye out of the game, this will be his last fight in boxing and he can forgot about fighting any Klitschko again.

“Wladimir played with him for twelve rounds [but] the difference is I’ll be punishing him for twelve rounds and giving him the worst beating he’s had. I’ll destroy him. He’ll need more than one of his Hayemaker’s to stop me coming at him at night.”

Chisora says he refuses to lose to his London rival and that his pride and fighting heart will break Haye (25-2-0, 23ko) down on the night. He added: “There’s too much pride on the line, there’s no way I’m going to lose to Haye. I’m going to break Haye down mentally and physically, he’s all mouth and he now knows that he’s in a real fight against me. What’s he going to do when he lands his best punches and they have no effect and I’m still in his face throwing punches?”

*

Actor and presenter Danny Dyer (Human Traffic, The Football Factory, The Business) says there hasn’t been a heavyweight showdown that he’s looked forward to more than David Haye and Dereck Chisora. Dyer, a West Ham United fan, filmed a special promo for the fight with a BoxNation crew around Upton Park recently and said: “What makes this fight so exciting is that it’s so unpredictable and both fighters are going to be knocking seven bells out of each other.

“There hasn’t been a fight I’ve been looking forward to more than these two heavyweights getting it on and they’re both British which makes it a must see for fans. Both guys have got so much hate in them towards each other and it’s all going to explode in the ring on the night.

“I can’t wait for it, It’s too tough to call a winner, but it’s going to be one hell of a fight.”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

May 16, 3 years ago

Poll indicates majority eager to watch David Haye and Dereck Chisora, Dillian Whyte declines spar invite from both fighters

On The Beak – Admin

A massive 71 per cent of the public would pay to watch David Haye’s big heavyweight showdown with Dereck Chisora, a poll held on the Daily Mail online revealed. The bitter rivals meet in the ring on Saturday, July 14 at West Ham’s Boleyn Ground at Upton Park in one of boxing’s biggest ever grudge fights. And only 29 per cent didn’t want to watch the fight which has become a hot talking point.

Direct link to article.

A fence separated the fighters in an attempt to prevent further unsavoriness

Since the pair met last week head-to-head for the first time to announce their fight, tickets have been selling fast with over 20,000 sold already. The fight will be televised live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 456/Virgin Ch. 546).

The event is set to be well supported as ‘Regular’ WBA heavyweight champion Aleksandr Povetkin is to be pitched against mandatory challenger Hasim Rahman while prominent British lightweights Kevin Mitchell and Ricky Burns are rumoured to go at it for the WBO title at 135lbs.

*

Dillian ‘The Villain’ Whyte has delivered a knockout punch to David Haye and Dereck Chisora by refusing to spar with both fighters. The exciting London heavyweight prospect has sparred with them in the past, and when their summer grudge match was announced the rivals turned to unbeaten Whyte for help.

But Whyte (5-0-0, 2ko) who meets Zurab Noniashvili (13-7-1, 6ko) at Aintree Racecourse on Saturday refused. Whyte, 24, explained: “They have both asked me to spar ahead of their clash, and that leaves me in a difficult situation. I have thought about it and I am not going to spar with either of them because they are both friends. David and Dereck have helped me in my career so I don’t want to spar with one and create bad feeling with the other.”

Whyte, who beat British Olympic hope Anthony Joshua during a brief amateur career, has also sparred with David Price and Tyson Fury. Price (12-0-0, 10ko) heads Saturday’s bumper bill when he meets Sam Sexton for the vacant British and Commonwealth heavyweight title.

Whyte added: “I am a tough guy and when I go to spar I bring it. A lot of guys go to spar and lay down after a couple of rounds – that is not me.”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

May 16, 3 years ago

Baker writes open letter to the BBBoC as relations between the Board and licensees becomes more fractured

Bruce Baker – Professional Boxing Promoters Association

I was surprised to say the least at the British Boxing Board of Control’s [BBBoC] press statement dated May, 9 2012 in relation to the David Haye versus Dereck Chisora fight at West Ham and particularly the references to the Federation Luxembourgeoise de Boxe. I am also concerned at the threats made to our members and other licence holders of the Board of Control to withdraw their licences if they participate in the show.

Direct link to article.

Our Association has worked alongside the BBBoC for 13 years. Generally speaking this has been a good working relationship and we see no reason for this to change if we all genuinely share a passion for the betterment of British Boxing. However, over the last few years certain actions taken by the Board have alienated license holders and we have no effective vote on these decisions.

The only people who can vote and have a say in how the Board is run are the Area Council Officers. However, these Officers are not voted in by the licence holders but are appointed by the Board and the Board itself appoints its own directors. Therefore, there is no-one who can vote on any issues at all who has any duty to represent the licence holders and we feel we have no voice.

Whilst we raised these concerns with you, nothing happened and you refused to even discuss them. This culminated last year with a protest by license holders at the Company’s AGM. As a result of which the AGM was suspended with the Board agreeing to meet with a delegation of license holders to discuss the way forward. The delegation (democratically elected) met with you in Birmingham. We were told that you would listen to what we had to say but would make no changes; there was little point in us meeting.

Since our meeting in Birmingham, there have been further matters which caused us concern. Firstly Jane Couch’s licenses were taken away from her in what seemed to us to be a personal dispute with her and the Chairman rather than a matter which should have concerned the Board. This dispute exposed worrying concerns about Mr Giles before the Board stepped down having spent time and money fighting the dispute. Secondly, a complaint was made by Mr Frank Warren over the lack of BBBoC support of Dereck Chisora when he fought in Germany.

He alleged that had the Chairman been more pro-active then the issues in Germany (including checking the security arrangements) could have been avoided. I was not present in Germany and so do not know what happened, but whoever was responsible, it does show that the Board and the Chairman have lost the support of various licensees. I speculate, but this could be because the Chairman has other loyalties which could cause licence holders to question his full support. He is the Vice Chairman of the EBU and holds a prominent position with the WBC.

After our meeting in Birmingham, the members of our Association together with other licence holders entered into discussions with the Federation Luxembourgeoise de Boxe. The Federation has been in existence in its present form since inception in 1922. It is affiliated to the EBU, WBA, WBO, IBF and WBC and it therefore is recognized by the BBBoC.

Indeed the BBBoC have authorised boxers to fight in tournaments regulated by the Federation on many occasions in the past. It could not do otherwise without being in breach of its own Rules. Less than a month ago the Federation regulated and staged a show in Germany with the full support of the German Federation who permitted its own licence holders to take part.

We were attracted to the Luxembourg Federation because its safety record is second to none and it has personal injury insurance in place and strict procedures for protecting the safety of boxers. However, coupled with that, it is run by its members for its members. Managers, promoters and trainers are allowed to vote at the Company’s AGM and therefore have a real say as to how boxing is run. Whilst the Federation regulates the safety of boxing, it confines this to licensing, ringside supervision and the protection of the boxers in the ring, allowing the members freedom in other areas.

Therefore we entered into an agreement so that the Association is now the Federation’s representative in the UK and has been since March 12, 2012. I informed you of this and I informed you of the insurance and safety provisions when we met. This makes press release all the more surprising as I had been completely open with you as to what we were doing, the reasons why and the protection which would be afforded to the boxers under the Federation.

Moving onto the licensing of Haye v Chisora. Neither boxer is on the banned/suspension list. Chisora was sanctioned by your own body and having heard the evidence you decided to withdraw his licence rather than ban him. It is worth noting that this was under enormous pressure and scrutiny of the press.

We are surprised that you question whether these boxers should be licensed as they are both fit and well to fight, neither have a criminal conviction and neither have been banned by yours or any other sanctioning body. This is especially so when there has been not a squeak out of the Board over [Floyd] Mayweather, [Mike] Tyson, Scott Welch, Danny Williams and currently Scott Dixon to name but a few.

From the perspective of our Association, I am concerned about your attempt to intimidate your own members into not taking part. You do this in two ways. First, you claim that you will de-licence any member who takes part in the fight. This is unlawful and a breach of your own Rules. Secondly, you seek to limit the insurance for boxers who are licensed by the BBBoC and would ordinarily have the benefit of insurance even if they fight under a different sanctioning body.

This, in particular, is an extraordinary move for the BBBoC to seek to limit its own boxers’ insurance when they have paid license fees and taxes for the benefit of this insurance. I seek from you the confirmation of your insurers of their position – presumably you got this before issuing the press release and so can send it to me by return.

On behalf of our Association and the Federation, we require from you agreement that you will not seek to interfere with the fight and show. If this is not forthcoming by close of business on May 18, 2012 then the following will happen:

1) The membership of the Professional Boxing Promoters Association will move for a vote of no-confidence in the Board; and

2) The Federation of Luxembourg will consult its lawyers to start proceedings for restraint of trade that is if these proceedings have not by then been brought by another individual or company in the meantime.

I look forward to hearing from you and if you wish to meet and discuss matters, do let me know.

Yours sincerely

Bruce Baker

Chairman
Professional Boxing Promoters Association
Representatives Federation Luxembourgeoise de Boxe

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Oct 25, 3 years ago

Katsidis on Burns, Mitchell, Earl, being a warrior and West Ham United

Tommy Barber – London

Gladiatorial prizefighter Michael Katsidis, who sports a Greek spartan helmet and warrior’s skirt whilst making his ring walks, returns to the UK to box resiliant Scotsman and former WBO super featherweight world champion Ricky Burns, who is a debutant in the lightweight division gunning against a man accustomed to blood and guts battles between 135lbs and 140lbs and one whom was also eager to offer his appraisal of a trident of British boxers…

Direct link to article.

The Great 'Brit Basher'. Credit: Stacey Verbeek – Maple Avenue Boxing Gym

“Burns has better boxing ability than both Kevin Mitchell and Graham Earl,” said Katsidis (28-4-0, 23ko) ahead of his November 5 bout against Burns which is set to be staged in the Wembley Arena, London; a city the Australian has a perfect 2-0-0, 2ko record in thanks to a brace of stunning stoppage victories over Earl in 2007 and Mitchell three years later.

“Earl has the biggest heart out of them while Mitchell is a little inconsistent. Burns will be the best I have faced in the UK,” noted the 31-year-old fan favourite. “Burns is powerful and is a very consistent fighter. He has showed it in the past. It will be tough like I said he is more consistent that Mitchell and he is a better boxer than Earl, if we are to compare him with the English lads.”

Coatbridge athlete Burns, 28, is more accustomed to campaigning at 130lbs. His super featherweight career was punctuated by the unlikely capture of the WBO world title in 2010 when he overcame the underdog label to decision highly-fancied Rocky Roman Martinez. He since made three defences, yet was without a defining dancing partner. Struggling to make weight, he moved to lightweight and took on one of the most recognisable names in the division.

“I don’t think Burns will be at a disadvantage moving up a weight,” said Katsidis. “I think it’s a move he should have made a long time ago. Some underestimate his power but not me. I do not feel I am the favourite for this fight or that I have the edge. I feel we are on par. I may be experienced at the top level but Burns has an awful a lot of experience too. He showed that last year when he won his title.”

Katsidis’ last contest in Blighty was a three round blowout of the previously unbeaten Mitchell, a boxer who has since gone on to impressively teekayo domestic rival John Murray. The fight with Mitchell was held at the Boleyn Ground in West Ham, east London; the home of West Ham United football club.

“I love England,” Katsidis enthused. “I want to live there. It is a fantastic place and some where I always want to fight. Hopefully I can be based there soon. The West Ham fans when I faced Mitchell showed why the country is so great. They appreciated me, they appreciate warriors.”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK